This is probably something we should have done at the beginning of summer, but we don’t always follow the norm around here. Since we’ve been out in our backyard a lot more lately (including very early morning trips with a whiny pup) we decided it was time to do something about the giant patches of dirt. Our landlord doesn’t lift a finger more than necessary, so we made a few small improvement ourselves.
Here is the before and after:
It started with a trip to Home Depot to collect wood chips, a hoe, a shovel, some black weed tarp, a small cedar fence, and a few solar lights. We had to level out the dirt and make 2 inches of recess for the chips. All the displaced dirt was then spread out under the hedges on the side yard.
We laid down a black weed net, the evenly poured out the wood chips. We moved the garbage cans around to the side of the house, and put up a small dividing fence to tie things off. It was a tedious, dirty process, but we had a great time.