When it comes right down to it, I’m a pretty sentimental person. I’ve saved some fairly worthless stuff over the years in an attempt to maintain the memory of a special moment. I’ve toned it down quite a bit, and with each move I’m able to part with a little bit more, but there are still certain things I just can’t get rid of. This of course poses the question: “Where will I keep all that stuff?” It’s hard to store a lifetime’s worth of mementos in a creative and feasible way, but I’m slowly coming up with ideas on how to do it.
I think my favorite so far is the collection of shadow boxes in our living room. They currently house the more visually interesting items from past memories.
- A custom designed chocolate bar wrapper from a small shop in Brooklyn, NY
- A small white elephant from my grandmother’s collection of pachyderm figurines
- Restaurant match boxes from our honeymoon in Santa Monica, and a trip to Quebec
- Stamps from letters Brent sent me when he lived in Brazil
- The cover art for a Radiohead album the summer we saw them live at the Rose Bowl
- Shells from the beach on our honeymoon
What memories would you put in a shadow box?